| By Estela Ataíde

Fondation Jérôme Seydoux-Pathé

In Honour of the Seventh Art

PHOTOGRAPHY Michel Denancé

PHOTOGRAPHY Michel Denancé

PHOTOGRAPHY Michel Denancé

1 de 3

The new premises of the Fondation Jérôme Seydoux-Pathé, opened in September 2014, bring centuries of cultural heritage with them. Built in 1869 by architect Alphonse Cusin to house the Théâtre des Gobelins, the building’s façade, created by Auguste Rodin, was its most striking feature. Cultural centre of Paris’ 13th arrondissement, the space is still a centre of knowledge, now welcoming those passionate about the history of film.

Founded by brothers Charles and Emile Pathé in 1896, the company Pathé Frères would become one of the leading companies within the film industry, and has produced, distributed and screened films for 120 years. Since 2006 the Fondation Jérôme Seydoux-Pathé has been dedicated to preserving and promoting the cinematographic legacy of Pathé Frères.
Redesigned by Renzo Piano, the new building has preserved the magnificent façade by Auguste Rodin, classified as a historic monument, behind which the architect has raised a modern shell shaped structure, built over five storeys. Stood in the middle of a garden, this contemporary building, covering an area of 2200 sqm, results from an interesting use of materials. In addition to the extensive glass work on the two top floors, the interior offers a subtle combination of steel and wood.
Designed to function as a multidiscipline space dedicated to film and to the legacy of Pathé Frères, the new premises of the foundation includes a theatre especially for screening silent films, exhibition areas, a research and documentation centre and spaces for workshops.